[ LEAGUE NEWS WIRE ]
16-Feb: SAWHA AGM
When: Saturday, April 18, 2020 @ 10 AM
Where: Cardel South Fish Creek Park
333 Shawville Blvd SE #100, Calgary, AB
9- Aug: Registration instructions for team reps and players can be found: here.
SAWHA has created a message board to help teams and players communicate. The message board is meant to help:
– teams looking for new player(s)
– teams that want to post their tryout information
– teams looking for goalie subs
– new players looking for a team
The Southern Alberta Women’s Hockey Association (SAWHA) was established prior to the 1977-1978 season. SAWHA is focused and committed to the development and growth of female hockey.
SAWHA has four main objectives:
- To enjoy the game of hockey and to keep the game at a fun, yet competitive level.
- To ensure all interested females, 18 years of age and older, have an equal opportunity to participate and wherever possible, provide competition at the individual players’ level of skill.
- To promote, encourage and increase the growth and awareness in female hockey in Alberta.
- To encourage and foster personal development and leadership qualities of individuals through their participation in female amateur hockey.
Over the last seven years almost $1.4 million has been spent on improving the functionality, safety, and access of the Arena. Almost a million dollars was raised through federal, provincial and municipal grants and donations. Fairview is one of the busiest arenas in Calgary and services a wide variety of users, including figure skaters, and hockey and ringette players of all ages.
On February 20, 2018, SAWHA was devastated by the collapse of the Fairview arena roof. SAWHA had put significant resources into making the arena a place where community can come together to enjoy exercise, develop their on-ice skills and make lasting memories. We are grateful that no one was hurt and the building was clear when the roof collapsed.
SAWHA’s success would not be without the organizational skills, drive and passion of our membership. Volunteers are a key strength of SAWHA as volunteers are required to fill Board positions, coach and manage teams, organize Casinos, Provincials, Western Shields, Socials, and Charity events and help with Fairview Community events like Spring clean-ups and playground equipment builds.
SAWHA also represents its members in the various organizing bodies such as Hockey Alberta, Calgary Sport Council and City of Calgary’s Ice User Task Force.
As of the 2018/19 season, SAWHA will have 55 teams in seven tiers with over 1,000 active members registered in the league. This season will see SAWHA schedule over 1,000 games, playing in 22 arenas within the City of Calgary and in eight arenas within 150 km of Calgary.